Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Butler Christmas

I have mentioned before that I am a deeply traditional person.  There is one tradition that I'd like to share because it is my favorite.  It is a Christmas celebration with my maternal grandmother's family - The Butlers. 

It started years ago, when my mom was a kid.  My grandma's brothers and all of their families get together and have a party that always brings me to tears.  It used to be at my great grandma's house, but when she passed away, it moved to my mom's Uncle Keith's house - it has been there ever since.

We start with lunch.  Its loud, crowded, and chaotic, but I love it.  I love getting to talk with cousins, uncles, and aunts.   I love hearing the laughter from family as they recount old stories, tell bad jokes, and watch the kids play.  I have warm fuzzies just thinking about it!

After lunch we do a talent show.  Its mostly the kids, and now the grandkids, but a few "adults" join in occasionally.  There is singing and playing instruments.  We've even seen some sign language and some dancing. 

Every man in the room follows by singing "We Three Kings", but they substitute "three" with the actual number of men.  The talent ends by us singing "The Hallelujah Chorus".  We sing while we watch an old VHS tape of my Uncle Ralph accompanying us on the piano.  Its a real treat when he's there and we get to listen to him in person. 

Someone reads the Christmas story from the Bible, we remember any family members we have lost during the year, and we close with a prayer.  Pure sweetness. 

We then have an adult gift exchange game and the little ones open gifts.  That's it.  Its the same every year.  Every single year.  It could not be any more perfect.

We'll be stopping in Oklahoma City for this celebration on Saturday.  I'm looking forward to posting new pictures of my kids singing.  They've been practicing for weeks. :)

I'm leaving you with the earliest picture of me that I could find from this great tradition.  I know there are more, but they're all at my parents' house.  Go ahead and notice the sweet mullet and matching sweatsuit with my shirt tucked in.

No comments:

Post a Comment